Wise cracking kids and dinner ideas. What more could you ask for?

Updates on kids and family, plus yummy recipes!!

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Margaret Irvine Rowland March 8, 1929- Mach 8, 2010

Today Jer and I attended his great-aunt Margaret's funeral. Aunt Margaret was Jer's grandfather's last surviving sibling. An end to that generation, but the beginning of a new branch of the Irvine family tree. I want to share my thoughts on this amazing woman.

I first met Aunt Margaret and Uncle Glenn when Jer and I got married. From the moment we said "Hello" I have felt like family. Aunt Margaret recognized me instantly, no matter where we ran into each other. I remember passing them at the mall, and hearing, "Amy, it's so nice to see you, how are you doing? How is Jeremie?" Even though Margaret was a more distant relative, I always looked forward to seeing her and enjoyed our conversations. Sadly, my last conversation with her was at Uncle Glenn's birthday party July 2008. We were not able to stay long, as we were in a rush to make it to my cousin's wedding. But Aunt Margaret was as warm and welcoming as always. She even remembered that she still had our wedding present. It is all wrapped from ZCMI. We never did get it, but that isn't what matters. It's that she, after more than 9 years, remembered that she still had it. Thinking back on that makes me laugh. That is just the kind of sweet woman she was.

Attending Aunt Margaret's funeral, I learned so many things about her. I learned how much we actually had in common. I can imagine myself in another life revering her. She is the sort of woman I hope to be some day. She was strong and determined. She was talented and practical. She loved to cook and to garden. The most important thing I hope to have learned form Aunt Margaret is her patience. Although her uncanny ability to remember names and faces is a talent I do envy.

So to you, Aunt Margaret, we miss you. As for me, I wish I had known you all my life. It would have been an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment