Wise cracking kids and dinner ideas. What more could you ask for?

Updates on kids and family, plus yummy recipes!!

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Anniversary

Last night for our anniversary Jer took me to La Caille for dinner. Wow. I have to say that it is totally AMAZING!! As we drove through the beautiful front gates, we followed a brick drive, lined with trees past at least one of their private ponds swimming with ducks and geese. Walking into the french chateau style building, I was awe struck. I don't think I have ever seen such a gorgeous place, especially not around here. Jer talked me into trying escargot. I've had it before, but I remember how much I hated it. Everyone has told me that it should not have been bitter. And they were right. This was sauteed in garlic and clarified butter, with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. They brought out an amuse buche, smoked duck and marinated cucumber. That got me in the mood for duck. They had the most amazing fruit compote under the duck. For dessert, they put a firework in the dish to help us celebrate our special occasion.

This afternoon when we picked up the kids, we took them to see Alice in Wonderland. I have to admit, I like Tim Burton's work, so I may not be the best critic, but we enjoyed it. The whole movie was fast paced and very artistic. It wasn't even scary for the kids. PJ jumped once, and it was as Alice was walking up a path. Nothing was even there. But it was a cute movie. I'm positive there will be a sequel. There always is with movies now days, right?

Today's Menu Roasted Garlic Chicken
1 head garlic, top cut off to expose cloves, coated with olive oil and cooked in 450 degree oven for 30-45 mins. When cooled, remove cloves and mash
4 chicken breasts, grilled
In med skillet:
make roux from 2 tbls melted butter, 3 tbls flour. Cook slightly.
Add 1 cup chicken stock/broth, bring to boil and let thicken slightly
Add roasted garlic, run puree if not smooth enough for your liking
Salt, pepper and fresh parsley to taste
Pour gravy over chicken and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment